Preparing Your Property
- It should be neat, clean and uncluttered
- Steam clean carpets, wash windows, touch up paint on walls and doors
- Clean window coverings throughout
- Fix drippy faucets & plumbing
- Have appliances neat, clean and in working order
- All interior and exterior lights should be sparkling and operating
- Organize & clean closets, garage and basement
- All sealants (window, tub, shower, sinks, etc.) should be in good condition
- Eliminate all mildew
- Roof and gutters in good condition
- Make all necessary repairs and improvements before we begin to advertise your property
- If there are major repairs, either deal with them or adjust price accordingly
- Create “curb appeal” with a manicured lawn and yard
- Clean like you have never cleaned before, apply “reduce, re-use, recycle” motto!
- Have your property scanned for underground oil tanks, if present have it removed by a reputable contractor.
How to Make Your House a "Show Home.
As a service to you we have a “stager” consult and assist with readying each home for sale.
Please use the following checklist to get ready for all showings and open houses.
Let the Sunshine In
- Open all blinds and drapes to show the brightness of your home
- Turn on lamps and lights in every room, closets, the garage, basement and storage areas
Create a warm atmosphere
- Play instrumental music quietly, set a fire, turn the heat or air conditioning on to create a comfortable temperature for the weather
- Liven the kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedrooms with fresh flowers or herbs
- Freshly baked bread or cookies add to the ambiance
- Be sure no cooking or garbage odours are lingering
Clear away all items on countertops in the kitchen and bathroom and make them shine
Remove as many personal photos and memorabilia from display as possible so the buyers can imagine themselves in the house, not feel as though they are intruding into your home.
- Place fresh flowers in flower beds and at the front door
- Clean the front door and doorstep
- Sweep all walks and driveways
- Keep the yard neat
- Take pets out of the house if possible. Spray their eating and sleeping areas. Non-pet owners are very sensitive to pet odour.
Most important, please have all members of the family out of the house. A short walk down the block for 15 minutes will make the buyers more comfortable. They will be able to speak freely to the realtor. Buyers may also ask you questions that you prefer your agent to handle.
**Your extra effort will be rewarded**